Sunday 18 November 2012

The Games That Time Forgot Vol. 2: Jak and Daxter

It's 2AM and I'm jacked on caffeine. That can only mean one thing.
The games that time forgot!

Okay, so time didn't really forget this game because this year it was re-released as an HD collection for the PS3, but I'm really basing this series of reviews around the games which shaped my childhood and my early gaming experiences. And this is definitely one of them.

JAK and DAXTER: the PRECURSOR LEGACY
Rating: 5/5

One morning I went out to the local game store with my Dad to trade in some old games and get a shiny new one, and I saw Jak and Daxter: Precursor Legacy on the shelf. My Dad told me we could get it but he was sure it would suck. One week on and he was as hooked as I was, and despite the fact that we're now 20 and 44 years old, we enjoyed a recent playthrough together. Just like when I was a youngster.

What makes this game so special though?
There's no easy way to answer this, because this game really holds a special place in my heart. It's right there in the core along with Pokémon Red/Blue and Shadow Hearts (more on these later). For starters, I think this is one of the first 3D games I played, so the freedom of being able to move not only left and right, but forwards and backwards, side to side, up and down and any other which way you can imagine was so new to me. Nowadays that doesn't mean so much, but back when there were "3D" games like Crash Bandicoot where it was actually extremely difficult to judge the depth properly, this was a whole new world. I believe this was published in 2001, and the graphics were impeccable on the original version. Even to this day they are still very good, very eye-catching and very fun. Colourful but not annoyingly so. There's nothing worse than boring graphics in a game.

Ignoring this though, what makes this game still stand out in 2012? The humour is broad enough to keep kids and adults alike entertained, it's just the right difficulty for casual gameplay, the plot is pretty unique, Jak looks totally badass and there is quite a lot to do in terms of collectibles and sidequests. Essentially, it has everything you would expect from a modern day game, minus online capability and a bit of length.

For those interested, the HD re-release comes on a disc with the original game, Jak II: Renegade and Jak 3. It's 3D TV compatible (I wish I could experience that for myself) and for the original Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy game it has 39 trophies including the platinum. When I got it it was retailing at around £30 but I think that's dropped now.

Without giving too much of the plot away for those who haven't played it, when Jak and Daxter travel to Misty Island, Daxter is attacked by a 'lurker' and falls into a vat of Dark Eco, which causes him to turn into the ferret-like creature you see above. He is actually an Ottsel, an otter-weasel hybrid, but I like ferrets better.

Green Eco Vent
Eco is an energy used in the game, and comes in different forms:
  • Dark Eco - Dangerous. Stay Away.
  • Green Eco - Replenishes Health
  • Blue Eco - Used to trigger switches, draw in items and increase speed
  • Red Eco - Increases attack power
  • Yellow Eco - Pew Pew. Fires energy balls as a weapon.
The different Ecos can really enhance the gameplay, although the locations are quite limited at times. Some Ecos are necessary for minigames and also for normal progression, but you can find vents around the world to charge you up, though they're mostly placed in a supply-demand sort of way. That said, it's super fun to charge up with Yellow Eco and just blow some random stuff up.

The pair seek help to turn Daxter back into the human he once was, but are told by Samos, the sage of Green Eco, that only person who can help is Gol, the sage of Dark Eco. And so their quest begins. In order to reach Gol, they must pass through the regions of various sages, collecting 'Power Cells' along the way to fuel their equipment. When you eventually reach Gol there's a big boss fight and such, but I won't ruin the ending. I'll just say that in spite of being theoretically simple, that boss fight is pretty hard. The whole game is littered with humour too - this isn't one to be taken dead seriously.
Then there are the collectible 'precursor orbs'; 2000 in the entire game. On my recent playthrough I had just one left to find and it drove me crazy, but I eventually found it and got my platinum. Just a word of advice, if you see an orb, don't save it for later.
Left-Right: Jak, Daxter and Keira (The romantic interest)

As in pretty much any game, there is also a love story but it doesn't amount to much. I think this might be because Jak doesn't say a word throughout the whole game. I like a silent protagonist though, I think it makes him more enigmatic.

This was one of the greatest games released on the PS2 in my opinion, and I really think anybody who hasn't already played it should play it - PS2 or PS3. It really is very entertaining, and the rest of the game series isn't bad either, though it does get a lot darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment